Junior Horticultural Production Agronomist
31 August 2017
- Location: NSW Other
- Job Type: Permanent / Full Time
- Reference No. 2580916
- Hands on role
- Work with a dynamic team
- Great career opportunity
The position reports to the Senior Horticultural Agronomist and requires the incumbent to carry out all aspects of agronomy as it relates to a large corporate plantation. Your main aims are to maximize growth rates, improve production efficiencies and implement best management practices across all areas of production. You will provide agronomic knowledge and advise operations management staff with decisions on day to day field operations. You will also be responsible for implementing, planning and developing methods for preventative strategies against all major plantation pests and diseases.
The work includes conducting field trials for new irrigation, nutrition, crop protection and harvesting techniques. You will also be collaborating with leading organisations locally and globally to identify the best possible production practices and available technology to ensure that yield and profitability of the enterprise is maximized.
- Provide agronomic knowledge to the management team
- Make sound recommendations for Integrated Pest Management programs to maximise the production of the enterprise.
- Participate in development plans for new land.
- Monitor and schedule the watering with the Irrigation team through the use of probes and psycrometers.
- Ensure that the Chemical and Fertiliser inventory/ tenders are kept up to date.
- Assist in the training of operational staff in pest and disease identification, the application of insecticides, chemical rates, boom spray calibration and mixing chemicals.
- Spend sufficient time in field across all farms gathering information so that position objectives can be achieved.
- Develop, implement and manage field research in collaboration with the Senior Horticultural Agronomist.
- Develop and monitor crop risk and opportunity assessments, and provide recommendations to Orchard and Nursery managers.
- Effectively and responsibly perform duties as listed below.
- Contribute to replicated trial plots within the plantation under instruction from the management team
- Supervise field and casual staff as required.
- Establish trials to agreed protocols.
- Collect trial data and samples as per trial protocols.
- Be able to use mathematical models and statistically analyse data
- Collate data and assist with trial reporting and extension.
- Operate under Occupational Health & Safety guidelines
Essential Knowledge and skills:
• Formal qualifications in Agronomy
• Knowledge of insect, fungal and weed control strategies.
• Relevant industry experience
• Current C class driver’s license
• Excellent communication and report compilation skills
• Ability to carry out duties safely in accordance with OHS regulations
• Experience in Agronomy research and development
• Occupational and Remote First Aid
• Chemical Users Certificate
An attractive salary package will be offered to the successful applicant.
Graduates encouraged to apply
To apply email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
1300 668 226