Irrigation Specialist - Katherine
22 May 2019
- Location: Northern Territory
- Job Type: Permanent / Full Time
- Reference No. 1597165
- Excellent understanding of modern pressurised drip irrigation systems
- Installation, maintenance and trouble shooting your forte?
- Massive project underway - contact us now for full details
Drip irrigation is fast becoming the standard for large scale Horticultural production across Australia and our client is committed to the production and environmental benefits that this system provides. Water is sourced through excellent underground aquifers via bores and pumps.
The role will include overall management of several thousand hectares of drip irrigation over several farms and will be the highest Irrigation Management role for the company within the Northern Territory. You will head up the irrigation team for the state and work with regional and farm irrigation managers to ensure the most efficient and effective use of company water resources.
Key objectives are to ensure that farms are irrigated effectively, irrigation systems run smoothly, improving irrigation efficiency, develop specific irrigation regimes, improving longevity of existing irrigation systems and adopting new technology.
Other key aspects of the role include training of staff to ensure they have adequate skills to operate the system effectively, manage contractors and implement new projects as they continue to expand.
Reporting to the General Manager you will be involved in key establishment, operational, and maintenance aspects of the irrigation systems. The role calls for someone who understands the urgency of large scale intensive production, with an emphasis on forward planning and staff management.
- Must be well organised, methodical and timely
- Will have an excellent understanding of modern drip irrigation systems including installation, maintenance and trouble shooting
- This role requires a person with drive and the ability to lead from the front
- Must have the ability to work with managers, external advisors and operating staff in a highly integrated business
- Working with Drip irrigation
- Composing watering regimes
- Installation, maintenance and operation of pumps/ fertigation / pressurised systems
- Operation of computerised controllers
- In-depth experience with Fertigation systems / acid injection
- General tractor work and Machinery operation
- Scheduled and unschelduled maintenance
- Using moisture probes
- Conducting water allocation plans
- Budgets and forecasting
- Forecasting capital works
- Conducting irrigation audits
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Experience in irrigated Agriculture/Horticulture
- 5 years' Extensive Drip Irrigation experience
- 2 Years managing staff
- Experience in horticultural production or broad acre production highly regarded
- Current licences, including forklift and Heavy Vehicle would be an advantage
- Operation of various agricultural implements used in large scale horticulture operations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a highly functional team
- Applicants must be physically fit, prepared to work outdoors and be willing to learn aspects of the position
- Email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com or
- Contact Asher Hammond, Business Manager, Agrijobs Australia on 1300 668 226
- Visit www.agrijobs.com.au for more positions currently available